A Learning Community for the First Two Years of College
The Metro College Success Program (Metro) was developed to support the next generation of leaders in urban communities. Each Metro Academy is a 'school within a school' to give you an educational home in your first two years of college. Metro gives you personalized support for college success through in-class academic support and tutoring. At the core of Metro is a learning community made up of linked courses each semester, pairing a general education course and a Metro course. In Metro, you will build a solid foundation for college success and meaningful work in a variety of careers.
Benefits of Metro
- A small learning community of students with similar interests work together during the first two years of college, getting the classes you need to progress quickly
- A clear, fast track to graduation—all Metro classes satisfy graduation requirements in general education for all 241 majors in the Cal State University system
- Instructors who are passionate about social justice teach interesting classes that are relevant to real life
- One-on-one support from a dedicated academic advisor
- Access to tutoring services through the Metro Academy Resource Center (HSS 247)
- Strong academic preparation using proven learning strategies–learn to write and speak with confidence and power, and to think critically about the big questions
- Learn about ways to give back to your community & make a difference in the world
At a Glance
For more information on applying to the program, please visit our How to Apply page.
Please Note: To attend Metro, you must also be admitted to SF State through a separate application. For more information on how to apply to SF State, go to the Future Students page.